Shaykh Dr Gibril Fouad Haddad is
- currently living in Brunei with his family for over a decade and was born in Beirut, Lebanon
- a leading expert in Tafsir studies (Mufassir), Hadith Studies (Muhadith) and pursues a research interest in
Applied Comparative Tafsir, Islamic Intellectual History, Islamic Biobibliography, Islamic Sunni Jurisprudence, History of Islamic Sunni Jurisprudence, Islamic Sunni Doctrine, Islamic Heresiography, Isnad and Hadith Transmission
accomplished author, and translator of classical Islamic texts. He has translated and published over 30 works
- highly trained in secular education before conversion to Islam. After embracing Islam he has travelled widely to learn Islamic sciences and holds ijazas from over 150 scholars across the Muslim world
- an influential Islamic scholar in several Islamic sciences. In 2009, he was hailed in the inaugural edition of The 500 Most Influential Muslims in the World as “one of the clearest voices of traditional Islam in the West.”
- is currently chief editor of the Integrated Encyclopaedia of the Qurʾān (IEQ) and was Senior Assistant Professor in Applied Comparative Tafsir at the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Centre for Islamic Studies (University of Brunei Darussalam)
He holds a Doctorate from Kolej Universiti Insaniah, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia. Dr. Haddad spent nine years of study in Damascus, Syria (1997-2006) and has received ijaza (certificates) from over 150 shaykhs. His teachers,in Damascus, include Dr. Nur al-Din `Itr, Shaykh Adib Kallas, Shaykh Wahbi Sulayman al-Ghawji, Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi, Dr. Samer al-Nass, Dr. Wahba Zuhayli, Shaykh Abd al-Hadi Kharsa, Shaykh Muhammad Muti al-Hafiz, Shaykh Bassam al-Hamzawi and Shaykh Munir al-Hayek. In Mecca, he studied under Shaykh Dr. Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki. In Morocco he studied under Sidi Mustafa Bassir and in Beirut, he studied under Shaykh Husayn Usayran, the last of the close students of Qadi Shaykh Yusuf al-Nabhani.
He also holds a Ph.D. from Columbia University, New York where he was the recipient of several fellowships including one at the prestigious École Normale Supérieure in Paris, France. He also graduated summa cum laude from the New York University Latin and Greek Institute.
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
He is the author of over three dozen books, most recently the first critical edition and translation and first book-length study in English on the first Ḥizb of Tafsir al-Baydawi, a 900-page work to be published jointly by UBD Press and Beacon Books (UK). Published works include The Integrated Encyclopedia of the Qur’an, The Encyclopedia of Hadith Forgeries, and The Muhammadan Light in the Qur’an and Hadith as well as hundreds of articles, most recently “Tropology and Inimitability: Ibn ʿĀshūr’s Theory of Tafsīr in the Ten Prolegomena to al-Taḥrīr wal-Tanwīr” and “Quietism and end-time reclusion in the Qur’ān and Hadith: al-Nābulusī and his book Takmīl al-nuʿūt within the ʿuzla genre”.
Dr. Haddad is currently involved in the Integrated Encyclopaedia of Quran project as Chief Editor. IEQ has been conceived as the first English-language reference work encapsulating fourteen hundred years of Muslim scholarship on the Qurʾān, as an authoritative contribution to that same tradition, and as a source introducing a contemporary readership to centuries of reflective scholarly engagement with the Qurʾān (http://www.iequran.com)
TEACHING & SERVICE
Sh Gibril travels widely across the world to teach communities. He also conducts online learning of classical Islamic kitabs.